International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program
All students at Vista Magnet
take IB Visual Arts each year in
IB Design curriculum is paired with IB Science curriculum in a block period each day. All VMMS classes use the IB Design Cycle on a regular basis.
The IB Individuals and Societies class (Humanities) is paired with the IB Language and Literature class (English Language Arts) in a block period each day.
IB LANGUAGE AND
The IB Language and Literature class (English Language Arts) is paired with the IB Individuals and Societies class (Humanities) in a block period each day.
IB LANGUAGE ACQUISITION
At Vista Magnet, all students learn Spanish in the IB Language Acquisition class. We offer multiple levels of Spanish based on student backgrounds and/or proficiencies.
All students at VMMS have a block period of IB mathematics every day.
IB PHYSICAL AND HEALTH
At VMMS, all students have IB Physical and Health Education (PE) class every day.
IB Science curriculum is paired with IB Design curriculum in a block period every day.
Vista Magnet Middle School shifted to full utilization of IB assessment
practices in the 2017-2018 school year. All students receive IB grades
based on numerical rubric scores with narrative descriptors
instead of traditional letter grades.
The goals of the IB Middle Years Program are to :
- help students make connections to the real world, preparing them
for success in further study and life
- develop active learners and internationally-minded young people
who empathize with others
- empower students to inquire into a broad range of issues, locally,
nationally and globally
- nurture creative, critical and reflective thinkers
VMMS IB POLICIES
These policies represent our VMMS values and are discussed and
revised by our Global Thinkers team, parents and students on an annual basis.
- Video about our assessment process (English)
- Haga clic para un video acerca del proceso de evaluación (español)
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN IB EDUCATION?
IB students are recognized for:
- their confidence and ability to manage their own learning
- learning by doing - hands on engagement!
- outperforming non-IB students in academic skills
- transitioning successfully into the IB Diploma Programme in grades
11 and 12
- thriving in positive school cultures
- developing an understanding of global challenges and committing to
their roles as responsible citizens
THE IB LEARNER PROFILE
To read more about the IB Learner Profile, click on the graphic above.
8TH GRADE COMMUNITY PROJECT
All 8th grader students complete a Community Project to take action on a need they identify in a community of their choice. This year long project is a wonderful example of real-world applications and service learning to make a difference in our community.
APPROACHES TO LEARNING
identities and relationships
personal and cultural identity
orientations in space and time
scientific and technical innovation
fairness and development
globalization and sustainability.